Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Problems galore

My profile reads, “concerned about the environment” yet almost all my posts are about something else. Well, here’s something I give more than a usual damn about: the Regional Plan 2011. Sounds innocuous enough, doesn’t it? Don’t be fooled- it is far from it. I don’t know the exact details of the Plan, but I know that a lot of villages in both north and south Goa are being converted from green on the plan to red. Red denotes settlement area, so in reality, instead of green hills and pastures/ fields, we will soon have gray giants (which, rest assured, will be painted some hideous yellow or purple).
I am not against true development. I am not against urbanization. I am for sustainable development. Don’t most people come to Goa for the peace and quiet? God knows I love that aspect! Yes, I know we have a pulsating nightlife and yes, a lot of the tourists go to our clubs and discotheques and lounges but does that mean we should sacrifice our natural heritage for selfish gain?
I realize that I’m sermonizing yet again. I suspect I do not sound like most of my classmates nor do I sound like someone from my age group. Honestly, nobody gives a shit. I spoke to a couple of people about this Plan today (because one of the teachers brought it up), one said, “ The tourists don’t come only for the peace, they come for the clubs too.” The other said “As though anybody’s gonna listen to us.” To no. 1 I’d like to say, sure, but they don’t come only for the clubs either. Do you know how much revenue Goa could earn from Eco-tourism? To no. 2 I’d like to say: we live in a bleedin’ democracy! We CAN still make things happen. It’s a matter of losing the apathy and forging an alliance of citizens, presenting a united front.

And what about the shack license crap? Do we really need more shacks? Read something in the Navhind Times last week- you know, that little opinion poll- and everyone was convinced that more shacks would equal more tourists. Hullo! What’s the point in going to a beach if you can’t even walk on it, forget sitting down, sunbathing and building sandcastles?

And now, the less important news: my friend, with The Girlfriend, is officially a dumbass. He has always been a sweet, quiet fellow and almost everyone who knows him likes him. In my case, I think that’s about to change. The two of them were sitting with the rest of us today and he was either more quiet than usual or there was some telepathic connection between them, and she asked him “ What’s the matter? Are people boring you?” (People is the word you use to refer to someone whose name cannot be mentioned in public/ to refer to someone who is present and has done something only you and your secret –keeper know about.) I was humming ‘Leaving on a jet plane’ at this point, and felt rather insulted. Luckily (for him) I was called away just then. How dare he think any of us, his so-called friends, are boring! Does he deserve any better than utmost scorn? I am hurt- more so because he isn’t very interesting himself! And he has the nerve to think WE are uninteresting? Humph!

The least important piece of news, but something that is entertaining: the college office has been painted blue. It’s a sky-blue kind of shade. It’s only a problem if you don’t know about it: the shock might kill you. Pink and blue; we truly are a co-ed college!

3 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger glenn said...

Aww! what kinda sad girlfriend does your friend have? tell me you said something back and didnt just take that quitely.

Its sad, whats happening to Goa! I hate the politicians & the cops for being responsible for all of it

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... I've been in similar situations where a nice guy friend had a crazy girlfriend. I usually just try n ignore them n wait it out. Sooner or later the guy usually realises what an idiot he's stuck with.

It's much worse when a female friend is stuck with an idiot. Girls seem to turn deaf and blind (and stupid) when they fall in love.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger fedes said...

i'm starting to hate him too...but i think its cause i don't understand him even a little anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home